June 27, 2014

Welcome to My Parlour... Guest Blog by My lovely Sheri Velarde!



 We have a guest at Foreplay and Fangs today: my fellow Breathless Press author, Sheri Velarde. Today she'll be teasing us with a little bit of experience and advice, a little taste of her new release, and some fun facts!  Time to say hello, everyone... 



Hi everyone! I want to thank the always lovely Brantwijn for letting me pop over here today to talk a little about the creative process and to tell you a little about my new short, Taking Pleasure Where You Can. Thanks Brantwijn, you rock!
Today I thought I would muse a little bit about how important dreams and goals are to the creative writing process.
When I was little I always dreamed of being a fiction writer, but when I went to college I studied journalism and do the "sensible" form of writing. I had the dream still, but I did not make it my goal and my creative writing fell by the wayside. I still scribbled here and there, but I my fiction was going nowhere.

Fast forward a few years, I am forced to move back to my hometown for family reasons. Then I start to suffer from medical issues. Suddenly things have changed and I realize how important it is to turn your dreams into goals. I decided that I wanted to write fiction and I started working at it, devoting time to my goal and writing every day. Soon I had something that I liked enough to think about submitting. I now devoted time to looking for the fit at publishing houses. I submitted to one and got rejected, but with positive feedback. So I reworked my piece and submitted again, and guess what? I got accepted! That was my first release, Alone No More, over at Breathless Press! By turning my dream into a goal, I then in turn made my goal a reality!

I am happy to say, through the same determination and hard work I have continued to make my dreams come true by putting out new books every few months or so. I still have to work a day job, but I am living my dream as an author, setting more and more goals and striving to achieve them so I never give up on my dreams again. And I think that the lesson is not to let life and reality get in the way of your dreams, find your own way to make those dreams your reality instead.

Blurbs from Taking Pleasure Where You Can:

John never thought that he would be the same after Pearl Harbor, then he set eyes on Imee and everything changed.

Ever since Pearl Harbor John had become a shell of a man, not able to move on from the trauma. One night out with the guys and one woman were about to change everything.

Excerpt:

Joe seemed to know everyone, and everyone seemed keen to be near him. It made it much easier for the quiet by nature and still healing John to slowly make some friends. Once the drinks started flowing, he even began to loosen up a bit. He missed hanging out with guys, telling stories, joking around, and laughing. His Captain had been right; this was what he needed and what his friends who had passed on would want. He was beginning to feel alive again, and it felt good. Then he caught sight of her.

Author Bio:

Kelly Ryan, aka Sheri Velarde, lives in New Mexico with her fiancé and two dogs, and grew up with a fascination for all things that "go bump in the night", so it is no wonder that she turned to writing paranormal romance among other genres of romance. She is an avid exerciser and gets some of her best ideas while on runs. She also has a bit of a wild side, which only leads to inspiration for her writing.

Being an avid reader since an early age, she has wanted to be a writer for as long as she can remember. She has been writing all her life, but only recently started to actually try to pursue her dream of writing for a living.
She is constantly putting out new material, so it is best to keep up with her on her website.

Kelly/Sheri is a multi-published author; you can keep up to date with all things Kelly Ryan/Sheri Velarde at: www.sherivelarde.weebly.com.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me stop by today!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?