April 6, 2012

Taboo in Erotica: A Podcast by Remittance Girl

First off, if you haven't listened to any of the podcasts by Remittance Girl, you're missing out.  If this lady's voice doesn't just make you melt, I don't know what to tell you.  Beyond that, her fiction, written and read, is just gorgeous all around.  Some personal favorites and recommendations are The Central Registry (if you liked my Wages of Sin, it should come as no surprise that I like Central Registry so much), Beautiful Losers, The Waiting Room and The Baptism.


Secondly, this podcast by Remittance Girl tackles the concept of taboo in erotica.  This topic is obviously exceptionally relevant to me, and I have a great appreciation for this rebuttal she delivers to the idea that writers of erotica must self-censor certain subjects in erotica that, let's face it, there is valid audience for.


The Rebuttal: Writing Taboo in Erotica and the State of the Genre


Remittance Girl mentions towards the end of this podcast that writing erotica allows her to tackle certain truths on a deeper level, truths that we may deal with symbolically through sex.  I hadn't really been able to put such thoughts into words myself, but I can certainly identify with this motivation.  I find that, when I write erotica, it is with the desire to address something deeper in my characters or to explore some motivation or desire that is more subtextual than literal.  Especially when it comes to stories like To The Victor, Wages of Sin and Graveyard Games, for example.  So I feel the argument presented here is not only relevant, but significant.  I hope my readers will agree.


Enjoy Remittance Girl's thoughts on writing taboo, and remember to check out her work if you haven't already.  She is really quite terrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?